So the first thing we did was exploring the existing vacuum cleaner, measuring it and then we created a design in AutoCAD. After that the side views and top views of the product were printed in scale 1:1. All technical drawings were put on a foam that layers were glued together.
The shape was cut by the contours of the technical drawings and then glued together. Holes and curves of a shape were cut with a paper knife.
Different kind of sandpapers were used to smooth the surface of a shape. As a reference was existing model and a technical drawing.
The base for the hand vacuum cleaner also was made of foam. Small details glued together.
Buttons also were made of foam. It was quite tricky to make curves for small buttons. And still a lot of work had to be done – cover small holes and the uneven surface.
At the same time we started working on a transparent part of the hand vacuum cleaner where the dust accumulates. The material was used 5 mm mdf.
Funny thing was that we rushed and glued the segments straight but then we had to redo all the work and create an angled edge for each segment. After that we glued the segments again.
Nylon tights were put over the shape to cover the carcass.
Close-up look of nylon tights on segments.
Then nylon tights were colored with a blue paint. Initial idea was to create a coat of varnish but these kind of tights acted weird to the varnish. Therefore the final outcome of the transparent part is blue.
When all parts were cut and ready for the last stage, parts were placed together to see how they look together.
The next stage was to apply some coatings to prepare shapes for coloring.
In Italian it is called stucco and this mass was applied to all foam parts. With a sandpaper the extra material was chiseled.
Two layers were applied to foam parts before painting.
Foam parts were covered with white spraying paint.
The final outcome of the hand vacuum cleaner. Not quite satisfied with the result because the surface is uneven and the proportions are not quite right.
In my university we create models alone and I totally agree with that! It is so difficult to create something good when three people work on one model and everyone has their own opinion how it should look and what to add/remove. Also, when each person has different layer of knowledge of material and techniques handling these materials. The main problem was the fact I struggled a lot of the Italian language. Couldn’t express myself clearly and explain how things should have been done.